Horse pezzetti with sauce are a pillar of the Salento tradition: in every Salento village there is at least one butcher's shop specializing in horsemeat and it is precisely from these master craftsmen that it is necessary to "extort" the secrets of the true original recipe for horse pezzetti.
Just think that in Torre dell'Orso, the famous tourist resort of Salento theater of our childhood, for more than twenty years there has been one of the most renowned Food Trucks, in jargon known as paninari, which prepares the famous sandwich with pieces .
It goes without saying that, if you happen to be in those parts, a visit to Mc'Ntoni is a must.
That of the pieces is a fairly simple recipe to prepare but which requires a few hours of cooking to best express all its goodness.
Let's see the preparation step by step…
- 1 kg of horsemeat (stew cut)
- 1/2 onion
- 1 carrot
- celery to taste
- 1 bottle of tomato puree (we chose the Mutti)
- 1 tube of tomato paste
- 5-6 bay leaves
- Salt to taste
- oil to taste
- chilli to taste (optional)
- rosemary (optional)
- In a large saucepan, bring some water to the boil, without salting it, adding some bay leaves. As soon as it is ready, immerse the pieces of horse for about 15 minutes. This first phase will help the meat to soften;
- Prepare the sauté by cutting small cubes of carrot, onion and celery (and, if desired, add some spicy too). In a large saucepan, fry everything with plenty of oil.
- Immediately after, add the pieces of horse, taking care to drain them with a slotted spoon. Keep the cooking water from the pieces aside, it will be useful to you shortly;
- Once everything has been fried together for a few minutes, add the tomato puree, a whole tube of tomato paste and salt to taste. With the cooking water cover for double the volume and add more bay leaves and fresh rosemary.
The pieces of horse in the sauce will have to cook for about 2 hours on a low flame, stirring from time to time.
- When skewering the meat it becomes tender, flaking easily, you will certainly begin to feel salivation increase (ed). Don't worry, it's all thanks to your gods the pieces of horse with gravy 🙂
Advise? Prepare pucce from Salento and stuff them with this preparation, or get yourself some bread because in this situation the slipper is a must!