Flaxseed crackers are a super easy snack to make at home. Very light and healthy, they are yeast-free and require very few ingredients for their preparation.
At home we use crackers as an alternative to bread not only for a snack but also to make finger food treats to serve as an appetizer or aperitif .
Let's see this very easy recipe to prepare crackers with flax seeds. As an alternative to flax seeds you can use any type of seed (for example chia seeds or sunflower seeds ).
- 300 g of “0” flour
- 150 g of water
- 30 g of extra virgin olive oil
- 6 g of salt ( salt to put on the surface)
- 40 g of flax seeds (or seeds of your choice)
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and start working the dough.
- When it comes off well from the walls of the bowl, form a loaf and wrap it in plastic wrap. Let it rest for 15/20 minutes at room temperature before working it again.
- Roll out the mixture on a floured surface with a rolling pin trying to reach a thickness of about 1 or, at most, 2 mm .
- Preheat the oven to 200° in static mode and, in the meantime, shape the crackers: I used a circular mold to make small, round crackers but you can choose whether to make the classic rectangular shape or give them the shape you want.
- Once made, place the crackers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and brush the surface with a little olive oil (very little to make them brown perfectly).
- Before cooking, sprinkle a pinch of salt and bake at 180° for about 15 minutes . Cooking in the oven depends a lot on the oven you have at home, so the time required for cooking could decrease or increase. In any case, take them out of the oven when they are golden brown .
Once removed from the oven, let them cool well… they will be excellent for 2/3 days .
In short, at this point you can decide to eat them as a snack or unleash your creativity by using them as an accompaniment to soups , appetizers , finger food and so on and so forth.
Enjoy your meal!